Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I like about Steve

Steve Paxton came up with the idea of contact improvisation and ran with it. It is interesting to me because he was so bold with this new way of moving; it was inventive and something no one has done before. I have always been afraid to work using contact improvisation but studying Paxton and his work has helped me to understand that there is no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed. It is improvisation. If something doesn't work then move on and try something new. Watching contact improvisation, however, is a different story. It is so interesting to see the shapes that two or more bodies can form and the movement that comes from it; it is like watching a story of movement unfold right in front of you.
Today, there are so many improv jams that take place all over the world, each one holding a different experience waiting to be shared. I know that I have come to appreciate the world of contact improvisation and the brilliance of Steve Paxton.

2 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know your opinions on improvisation. Do you use any of the same techniques or skills in your choreographic process? What is your favorite thing about Steve Paxton, favorite video clip/ performance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though you understand that there is no need to feel ashamed or embarassed doing improvisations, do you still have reservations when doing contact improvisation? How is Steve Paxton's contact improv work unique or special?

    ReplyDelete